We are proud to organize this top-notch, affordable sporting event accessible to all sailors.
Every year, the Swiftsure International Yacht Race is a major community event – the premiere long distance sailing race in the B.C. and US Pacific Northwest area and a festival on shore. It is a race in which yachts, both racing and cruising, and crews capable of adventure in exposed waters are encouraged to compete and test their skills. Swiftsure has drawn boats and sailors from California, Hawaii, New Zealand, and even Russia. The nature of the course and the potential variety of sailing conditions provide an exacting review of good seamanship. Swiftsure is now actually five different races over three separate courses, plus the one day inshore race. Therefore, it offers wide appeal to the experienced amateur sailor who takes pride in his or her boat, big or small. The skipper and crew must be willing to test their collective knowledge and sailing experience to maximize their overall performance.
For more information on the history of the Swiftsure International Yacht Race; including photos, past results, trophies, and records visit: www.swiftsure.org/media/history
This year, each Steering Committee chair and subcommittee has pledged for 2012 to uphold the spirit of Clean Regattas, in other words:
- WATER BOTTLE REDUCTION – Reduce single-use, disposable water bottle use
- GREEN TEAM – Assemble a volunteer team to help carry out Clean Regattas
- TRASH FREE REGATTA – Keep your shores and waters clear of debris
- NO DISCHARGE – Prevent discharge of untreated sewage or blackwater
- RECYCLING – Provide and promote recycling services
- NON-TOXIC PRODUCTS – Use only non-toxic cleaning products during the event
- GRAY WATER REDUCTION – reduce runoff of phosphates and nitrates
- OIL SPILL PREVENTION – Require that motorized vessels shall carry spill kits
- PAPER – Use 100% post-consumer recycled paper or using an electronic registration service
- BOTTOM CLEANING – Prevent bottom cleaning in harbor and sensitive areas
- REGATTA AWARDS – Present recycled or practical race awards